Friday, February 27, 2009

The Combine

I enjoyed the discussion of the NFL combine with a few of you last night. I don't feel the bench press or straight 40 yard dash have much to do with identifying elite ability in the skills required to play Football at an elite level. Here are my alternatives:

20lb medicine ball clean and horizontal throw for distance
60 yard dash in a figure 8 pattern for time
maximum reps of 155lb power clean and jerk in 1 minute
standing broad jump for distance (maybe)
vertical leap for height (maybe)

Joe asked how I would prepare an athlete for the combine. Essentially, I would incorporate the programming I currently implement (functional movements performed at high intensity) with a modicum of specific work on the events. Maybe a few times per week, prior to a workout when the athlete is fresh. It all depends on how much the individual athlete needs to improve to get the contract he wants.

What we do will not, in and of itself, make anyone a world class sprinter, Football player, Rugby player, etc. It will expose and strengthen weaknesses in the fitness of the athlete in an efficient way, thereby allowing the athlete more time and energy with which to practice his or her sport.

Plus it makes you harder to kill than the average person. I think I got that from Rob Shaul (Mountain Athlete).

Keep the input and questions coming.

No comments: