Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Periodical Pain

Yesterday I was stuck at Books-A- Million while I was waiting for new tires to be mounted onto my car. Truthfully, I wasn't really "stuck" because I absolutely love hanging out in book stores. Unlimited reading material AND coffee! Despite what the Old Milwaukee ads said, it doesn't get any better than that!

Being the fitness nerd that I am, I scanned the "health and fitness" section of the magazine aisle. The usual suspects were there--you know, "Muscle and Fiction," "Flex," "Emaciated Runner's World" and the like. When I got past the seemingly endless ads for supplements to get me ripped, massive or improve my "relationship," I found a couple of articles. I made an observation during my caffeinated research that may be surprising to those of you who haven't read these magazines in a while (extra points to anyone in this group).

In between articles about gettin' huge and the latest in prostate enlargement technology, one author of a "train like an athlete" article actually demonstrated deadlifts and thrusters! I can hear it now, "what muscles do those exercises work?" The answer is all of them, kids. Now, if they would only get rid of the pinky finger isolation exercises and ease up on the fake tanner. Oh well, one thing at a time...

No comments: